Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Springtime Cupcakes

I've been a busy baking bee since my last post! I have made another chocolate cake, two different chocolate frostings, two yellow cupcake recipes, AND a new vanilla frosting recipe. It's been fun to compare the flavors and textures of each recipe. I made and frosted cupcakes for a neighborhood Easter egg hunt. This frosting is amazing!! It's called Silk Meringue Buttercream and is from my latest fave, The Cake Bible. The recipe is a combination of crème anglaise and Italian Meringue Buttercream. The final product is wonderful - I had a hard time not diving into the bowl. I'm not usually a frosting lover, but this frosting is almost good enough to serve alone!

P4070004

Also, since my last post, I finished my Wilton Cake Decorating Course 1. Here's a photo of my final cake:

2009 03005

I had so much fun making the roses. I came home and tried making them with a cooked buttercream frosting and had much better success than with the prescribed Crisco frosting from my class. Last night, I made a few more roses and have them tucked away in the freezer for some special cake to come in the future.

2009 03011

I'm done with testing cakes for a few days now. Next time, maybe I'll post something savory!

6 comments:

  1. Silk Meringue is one of my absolute favorites!!! Your cupcakes look very festive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my blog again, Patricia! I do love this frosting - I want to try the caramel variation next! Mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! Those cupcakes in the first shot are so precious. I love Rose Levy Beranbaum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilary,

    Rose Levy Beranbaum's book wonderfully helpful, isn't she? I went out to buy a new 1M tip for decorating future cupcakes yesterday. Now, I just need an excuse to make some more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those Spring-y cupcakes, and I'm so glad to see how well your mousseline rose turned out. Lovely cakes, Anne! -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Julie! I can't wait to make some more cupcakes to practice piping again!

    ReplyDelete