Thursday, April 9, 2009

World Peace Cookies

I love spring! We've got beautiful pink and white dogwoods blooming all over our yard, and several beautiful pale pink azaleas are showing off as well. The grass is greening up and the birds are starting to chirp early, early in the morning. I heard them before the sun was up this morning. My sweet children have been bringing blossoms to me to put in a vase beside my computer. We have all needed a dose of warmer weather and a chance to run and play outside in the sun!

Some new "cyber-friends" and I enjoyed a chance to try out the World Peace cookie recipe from a Dorie Greenspan cookbook. The recipe was featured on the Cookbook Habit blog back in February and you can find it by scrolling down on this webpage. These three friends and I made our cookies yesterday and agreed to review the recipe and post photos of the cookies today. One of my friends has a blog here - check up her review, too!

P4080004

For those of you who like salty and sweet, this cookie will scratch your itch! I love the combination of the two - I think sweet tastes much sweeter when there is a little salty to balance it. The cookie is a shortbread cookie with no eggs. I've made shortbread before, but never slowed down to realize that I wasn't adding eggs. So, I suppose that the omission of eggs adds to the crumbly texture of the cookies.

This recipe results in a deliciously chocolate-y flavor. I suggest using the mini-sized chips called for in the recipe. I used standard-sized chips because they're what I had on hand. The mini chips would surely have made the dough much easier to slice. I had to work hard to keep the cookies from crumbling too much because of the larger chips.

The combination of salty and sweet reminds me of a posting on Orangette with a New York Times chocolate chip cookie recipe calling for a sprinkling of sea salt on top. Those were good, too - I made them a few months ago and my husband loved them.

Back to the World Peace cookies. They were really easy to make. Cream butter and sugar, add dry ingredients, stir in chocolate chips, roll into a log, refrigerate overnight, and slice and bake! The only hard part was the slicing, but, as I wrote above, I imagine mini-chips would solve that dilemma.

I'm off to watch a Netflix movie that has been waiting on me for weeks - I've been too busy baking cupcakes and cookies to slow down to watch it. My husband wants me to get on with it because he's got some movies in the queue that he's ready to watch. I love movies! Maybe I should go pop some popcorn. Speaking of popcorn, remind me to share my two yummy popcorn recipes soon...

4 comments:

  1. I had a great time baking with the three of you. Looking forward to the next one. Great blog Anne :)
    Rozanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I just love your finished photo Anne... so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! I look forward to the next one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, that's such a lovely photo, and I know the cookies were tasty, too! It's fun baking with a group.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete