Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Birthday Cuppycakes

I made some cupcakes for Benjamin's mock birthday party at school last Friday. He has a summer birthday, so his thoughtful teachers offered to let him celebrate with his preschool friends a few weeks early. I made white cupcakes with a delicious vanilla frosting, both from The Cake Bible. If you have read my posts before, you know I've been going through a phase with this book!

P5140080

Here is the recipe for the Neoclassic Buttercream. It's so smooth and easy to frost and is wonderfully delicious. I altered it a bit and omitted one stick of butter. My children find the frostings from the cookbook not sweet enough, and so, I tried to accomodate their tastes with this one tweak. I added a splash of vanilla and a pinch of salt and also left out the liqueur. I sampled a bit of it with amaretto, and I loved it. I hope to have a grown-up affair where I can use the amaretto! The texture of this frosting is so unlike the grocery store variety - silky smooth with no Crisco aftertaste lingering on your tongue. If you've got the time to try it, please do! I used Davidson's pasteurized eggs so that salmonella wasn't an issue.

Decorating the cupcakes was so much fun! I bought a new box of parchment triangles. I folded up a bag and used my new 1M decorating tip. It made beautiful swirls! I just can't get enough cake decorating - I need some more birthdays to celebrate!!

Let me know if you decide to try the frosting!

3 comments:

  1. Real buttercream = no gritty texture either!!!

    Don't you just love the 1M tip? It's one of my favorites for sure. I love the way your cupcakes turned out - anything with sprinkles is okay by me!

    Did you frost these with the NeoClassic? Mine always ends up a little more pale yellow in color. Anyway, you can add more sugar to sweeten it a bit, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Patricia!

    Yes, I frosted them with the Neoclassic. It was definitely pale yellow - that is why Benjamin thought they tasted lemon-y! ;) Do you add granulated sugar straight to the frosting or do you increase the amount of the sugar syrup to sweeten it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are soooo cute! I really want The Cake Bible, I love her recipes.

    ReplyDelete